Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Red Book

red book - cover   red book - inside page
                                           The front cover      /      The inside page

Josh had received The Red Book (a 2005 Caldecott Honor book by Barbara Lehman) as a birthday present.  As a mom, I think books make perfect gifts.  Whether to give or to receive.

Do you notice anything about the front cover of this wonderful book?  No words, no title.  Yup.  Well, apart from the inside page which carries the book title, the author’s name and the publishing company, the rest of the pages are WORDLESS, too!  Which is what makes this book so interesting.

What I love about this is that you and your child can interpret the pictures any way you want.  Especially for children as young as Zoë (3yo) or even younger, the book presents a fantastic opportunity to engage your child by asking them questions, getting them to tell you what they think is happening based on what they see.  You’ll just be pleasantly surprised at how eagerly they will take over the reins from you and start to spin their own yarn, using the pictures as guides.  Best of all, there is no wrong interpretation.  For older children like Josh (5yo), this book presents opportunities to talk about faraway lands and what-might-be scenarios.  Just super for letting their imagination run wild.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog. Great recommendations. I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Found you on the GFC Followers group on Mom Bloggers Club. I'm now following you, please follow back when you have a chance (if you aren't already). Thanks!

    annalene
    http://thewideworldof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm following you on GFC (I'm from Mom Bloggers Club). Check out my blog sometime...

    WinItMama WINS
    http://winitmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a new follower from MBC and would love for you to come visit me at http://www.createyourtraditions.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am your new follower :) I invite you to check out my "Christmas Cheer"..don't miss it!

    http://toddlertalesbymommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/scoop-of-christmas-cheer-for-you-to.html

    ReplyDelete